Archives for category: community

click the picture to view (2:16mins)

click wade’s face and you will go to his TED talk (20mins)

“together the myriad cultures of the world make up a web of spiritual life and culture life that envelops the planet and that is as important to the well being of the planet as indeed is the biological web of life that you know as the biosphere. and you may think of this cultural web of live as being an ethnosphere.

you may define the ethnosphere as being the sum total of all thoughts and dreams, myths, ideas and inspirations, intuitions brought into being by the human imagination since the dawn of consciousness.”

quite times on the ‘yep’ front.

goings-on have been;

-part knowingly/directionally astray,

and

-part just chaos.

firstly, canada…

the hesquiaht community and i said momentary farewells in december. momentary because the kids have told me i have to come back in the canadian summer (may) so that we can swim in the lake.

done. i’m there.

also, this summer the ‘women against violence’ group will be joining the children and kevin in learning how to communicate their stories through images.

plus, we will be creating a dual-language hesquiaht/english book with words from the elders, and images from the women and children.

and, the recording of the stories of the hesquiaht elders will continue, so that future hesquiaht generations can access the thoughts of their forefathers and mothers.

so to round up the winter section, this weeks posts will be related to why culture, and this project are so important.

anyone interested in a world of diverse ideas, food, faces, philosophy, healing, arts, and jokes, will be into it.

hesquiaht kids (jacine, rakaylyn, donovan, heman) and kevin, these posts will be for you folks too.

good pondering material until i return for summertime lake jumping competitions and the rest.

here are the hesquiaht kids goodnight shots…

all this year has been about making a life where i am able to be myself,

and let everyone else be themselves.

portrait for the family, thank you donovan!

i want every individual, community, culture, and on – to hold hands and come to the party. i am that ridiculous. i can’t help it. i don’t know if it was the influence of jan g (mumma) and her cheek, john g (papa) and his wild ways, or if i just came out this way.

the young olds! jan g just sent me this, friends will enjoy this one

but, i actually believe in the real possibility of the world fiesta.

this year has concreted my belief.

special thanks to teachers from 2011:

gurukkal c. muhammed sherif  in india – teacher of islam, kalarippayattu, and the importance of family

yukiko and andrea in india – teachers of the idea that you are always allowed to change your mind whenever you choose…and speak up.

alisen, joe, dee, carly in canada – teachers of the marathon of friendship…the pain and the glory!

dr irene from clinic ammor in brazil – teacher of the arrogance of sympathy and the greatness of action and belief in another

jonathan in brazil – on the streets since 4, off the streets at 11, this little man is my hero

brazil families – taught me that generosity makes the world-go-round

the hesquiaht community – taught me about trust and being who you say you are

my family – have shown me that giving unconditional support and encouragement to another can be the difference between existing and thriving, you guys make it ok for me to be me 100%, you are the BEST

this RSA speech from jeremy rifkin sums up more ingeniously than i am able, what this year has taught me…

click it and you will be there.

“can we extend our empathy to the entire human race as an extended family…and to the biosphere as our common community?”

“we have to begin thinking as an extended family. we have to broaden our sense of identity. we don’t lose the old identities of nationhood and our religious identities, and even our blood ties. but we extend our identities so we can think of the human race as our fellow sojourners.”

over 1000 people have taken a look at these photos from the hesquiaht community.

so kids! and kevin! keep up the good work! people do care. your lives are incredible, we are grateful to you for sharing them with us.

the butchering lesson below happened thanks to mann and jessie, the parents of heman, rakaylyn, shaqai, and wesley.

mann, taken by his daughter rakaylyn

heman and mann had been hunting for the week prior. the three deer, and one goat in the previous post were their catch.

the next day the butchered meat was turned into a delicious community feast and all were invited up to the school to enjoy.

kevin

(is the teaching assistant here at hot springs.  he is also taking part in the photography class and is taking super shots!)

his community through his eyes

donovan

and his community through his eyes

heman

and his community through his eyes

jacine

and her community through her eyes